You come as an individual and join a thriving community
Community Champions operates across Harborough District in South Leicestershire and is aimed at helping isolated or lonely people (over 60) to change their lives for the better. Community Champions empowers older people and helps them to regain their social confidence and connect with people.
Community Champion volunteers help people to:
- Access information, groups and support
- Build new Friendships
- Enjoy new opportunities
- Develop digital skills
- Speak to services
Whether you want to make new friends, discover how the internet can open up your world, enjoy a new group or class, or achieve something that’s important to you, Community Champions can help you get there!
We are restricted at the moment because of the Corona Virus, so there are no face to face visits, but our volunteers and staff are ringing clients, writing letters and emailing to keep in touch.
We are still keen to recruit volunteers and clients, interviews will be over the phone in the short term, but please get in touch.
Community Champions Impact Report
We have developed our ‘Impact Report’ which you are able to view by clicking on the link below. The report explains the reasoning behind and the impact the Community Champions project has on people’s lives and how we undertake our work.
One of the most popular things we do is to meet up once a month for tea, cake and a chat. We provide free accessible transport and introduce people to each other so they can extend their social network. You can find out more about our Community Gatherings.
Have a look at our Community Champions Newsletters which give you more of a flavour of what we get up to.
- Community Champions Volunteers – visit people weekly at home for a chat or to go out together. You’ll be matched to the client for a year so will have plenty of time to build their social confidence and connections.
- Telephone Volunteers – ring isolated people on a regular basis, giving them companionship, support and information.
- Digital Volunteers – visit isolated people at home and show them how to use and benefit from the internet. This enables older people to follow their hobbies or discover easy ways to keep in touch, e.g. Skype or Facebook.
- Pen-pals – correspond with people through the regular exchange of news-filled letters or emails.
We accept referrals from GPs, Adult Social Care, Care Agencies, family members, or you can get in touch with us yourself. To do so, click to register with one of our services.
We interview all of our volunteers and take up references for them. We match volunteers to suitable clients based on shared interests and similar life experiences.
There is no charge for the project as it is funded by the National Lottery’s Communities Fund. The volunteers are paid travel expenses but give their time freely.
Volunteers make a massive difference…
“I feel as if I have been born again – I have plenty of time on my own to read and walk into town and the park but I get a lovely befriender visiting me and taking me out. We also go to Community Gatherings so I get to meet other people which is fantastic. I just want to say how much I appreciate what you do”
Contact Community Champions
Telephone 01858 439 262
Address: Community Champions, VASL, Torch House, Torch Way, Market Harborough, LE16 9HL